The number of Australians who are intending to travel overseas for a holiday over the next 12 month is at it’s highest point for the last 5 years according to Roy Morgan Research. This is an increase of 10% for the same time last year (July 2010). Hot spots include: USA mainland, Hawaii, Canada, China, and Bali.
Australians intention to travel domestically on their next holiday is down by 4% (58% to 54%) compared to July 2010.
Previous studies the agency has conducted are consistent with our previous findings on similar studies – that overseas holiday destinations can be seen as more exotic with a point of cultural difference. There is also the perception that there is a wider variety of experiences overseas than in Australia. We have seen this consistently in the domestic market over the last 5 years, the fact is, many Australians think Australia is boring.
Current Roy Morgan Media data(July 2011) shows that for those intending to travel:
– 63% will find the Internet the most useful media for selecting travel and accommodation
– 12% will look to newspapers
– 7% to magazines
– Yellow pages, TV, catalogues (brochures) and radio were mentioned by less than 5% of holiday planners as a useful resource
With these stats, you can really back your decisions to focus on the web, particularly if you have a wide range of stakeholders
So what does this mean if you are a domestic operator? Focus on your Web / Internet strategy. If you don’t feel you have the skills, it really is worth it to outsource it. You need to look at areas such as:
– Keywords – what are the words that consumers use when they search on Google for a holiday
– Search Engine optimisation – make sure these words are in your web copy and working for you behind the scenes of your website
– Ensure your website is interesting, informative and packed with relevant information
– List / database building
If you need to cut costs, DON’T cut costs in your website / digital marketing area. You are better off to look at cutting back on paper / brochures and collateral production and print advertising.
Do you want to hear more from us?
Want to be kept up to date with the latest travel and tourism insights? Join Our Mailing List. Every 2 weeks, we send the latest practical insight for you to apply to your business and destination marketing.