The number of Australians who are intending to travel overseas for a holiday over the next 12 month is at it’s highest point for the last 5 years according to Roy Morgan Research. This is an increase of 10% for the same time last year (July 2010). Hot spots include: USA mainland, Hawaii, Canada, China, and Bali.
Australians intention to travel domestically on their next holiday is down by 4% (58% to 54%) compared to July 2010.
Previous studies the agency has conducted are consistent with our previous findings on similar studies – that overseas holiday destinations can be seen as more exotic with a point of cultural difference. There is also the perception that there is a wider variety of experiences overseas than in Australia. We have seen this consistently in the domestic market over the last 5 years, the fact is, many Australians think Australia is boring.
Current Roy Morgan Media data(July 2011) shows that for those intending to travel:
– 63% will find the Internet the most useful media for selecting travel and accommodation
– 12% will look to newspapers
– 7% to magazines
– Yellow pages, TV, catalogues (brochures) and radio were mentioned by less than 5% of holiday planners as a useful resource
With these stats, you can really back your decisions to focus on the web, particularly if you have a wide range of stakeholders
So what does this mean if you are a domestic operator? Focus on your Web / Internet strategy. If you don’t feel you have the skills, it really is worth it to outsource it. You need to look at areas such as:
– Keywords – what are the words that consumers use when they search on Google for a holiday
– Search Engine optimisation – make sure these words are in your web copy and working for you behind the scenes of your website
– Ensure your website is interesting, informative and packed with relevant information
– List / database building
If you need to cut costs, DON’T cut costs in your website / digital marketing area. You are better off to look at cutting back on paper / brochures and collateral production and print advertising.
[icon name=”fighter-jet” class=””] Do you want to hear more from us?
Want to be kept up to date with the latest travel and tourism insights? Join Our Mailing List. Every 2 weeks, we send the latest practical insight for you to apply to your business and destination marketing.
[aio_button align=”none” animation=”none” color=”yellow” size=”small” icon=”none” text=”SIGN UP NOW” relationship=”dofollow” url=”https://ce141.infusionsoft.com/app/page/3b91e76f9295b4952bc564bd38f00064″]